Thursday 4 June 2009

Art journal - my favourite flower

Hearts2 - ewian

My favourite flower is "løytnantshjerter" translated meening the "lieutenant hearts". In English it is known as the "bleeding heart", in Latin it is "dicentra spectabilis".

Hearts1 - ewian

The flower is perennial, meaning it survives the winter and blooms every year. We have been moving a lot and I had keep my bleeding heart in a urn taking it with me where ever we have lived. We now go our own home and this summer I hope to find a place where I can plant the hearts permanently. First it did not look like they survived the winter being in a urn can be though for the flower. I was very sad because it is really hard to get hold of these bleeding hearts. Today when I was outside doing some gardening I noticed that my hearts had survived after all. I am so glad. I wish I had more of these wonderful hearts, but I only have this one plant. I have the one that is pink/magenta.

Hearts3 - ewian

Of course my journal entry for the day had to be the bleeding hearts. In my flower there is a girl sleeping, for me she represent the flower sleeping through the winter.

Medium used: Derwent pencil, watersoluble wax pastel and permanent marker.

10 comments:

Marlublu said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.I love the Bleeding Heart flower but sadly they don't do well in my region.They don't like the heat and humidity.I love the sleeping girl you put into the plant drawing. Way cute!

Mescrap said...

Beautiful drawing !!!
Never saw this kind of flower in my country.

Artsnark said...

Sweet drawing! Check out this giant bleeding heart plant on this blog:
http://willoaksstudio.blogspot.com/2009/05/bleeding-heart-swallows-chair.html

Anonymous said...

This plant is also called 'Lady in the Bath' in some parts of the UK. It is because, if you gently pull the pink petals apart and turn the flower upside down, you can see the 'lady' standing in her 'bath'!
Lovely sketch.

Lynn said...

This is terrific! The colors are wonderful and bright. My bleeding heart is just starting to bloom - truly a sign that summer is on the way.

bubblemunch said...

Such a beautiful sketch. You've captured the essence of the plant so well and the picture is delightful.

Found you on Milliande. Loving your work.

Candy Bello said...

What an awesome drawing! She looks so peaceful!

:)
candy

Anonymous said...

Det e et nydelig bilde.Kan eg ønske meg et kopi i julegave?

Hilsen svigermor

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I am really happy to discover this. great job!