Wednesday 15 October 2008

EDM # 4 mug


Had a little trouble with the flash lamp, got a lot of reflection from the varnish. Why use varnish? The illustration is in a book so the varnish keeps it from smearing.

The mug is wonderful to drink tea from, the lid keeps the tea warm and delicious. Today's medium was pastel chalk. It is over 3 months ago since I last used them! Keep returning to watercolours they are just so easy to use when travelling, and I keep grabbing them even if I am at home...

Her is what I did: Sketched the mug and tea bag using a pencil, added the pink colour with the pastel chalk, used a painting brush to soften the lines. Sprayed on varnish. Used cadmium red pastel chalk to trace the outer lines and he details on the mug / lid. Used the brush a bit more to soften the lines. There is a bit yellow in the high light on the lid. For the tea bag I used cadmium yellow, ochre and burned ochre. Sprayed on varnish.

Medium used: pastel chalk, 4B pencil, brush and varnish.



4 comments:

Timaree said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. If your bed is pretty when made up draw it that way. Mine is just a plain rectangle so I needed it messed up to have anything interesting in my drawing.

I like your mug. During the winter I could use a mug like that so my tea doesn't have to keep being rewarmed in the microwave! Was the varnish a matte finish?

EWian said...

Jepp, it was silky matte varnish, brand new box.

Lynn said...

This is a very cute drawing! I like how you added the tea bag, too.

EWian said...

Thank you, Lynn. Thought I had to add the teabag so people would know it wasn't cacao.